Monday, January 17, 2011

Dear Dr. King





January 17, 2011

Dear Dr. King,

Today  is a day when a lot of folks are talking about you. On the radio this morning, I heard you say some very profound and challenging things.  I can tell that you are a strong leader with great conviction. You are standing up for injustice and you are a man who is speaking truth. You know that men have been created by God with unalienable rights.  You know what is written in the Word of God and the Constitution. You challenge us by saying, "America be true to what you said on paper!"

You peacefully defend the rights of those who are treated unfairly because of the color of their skin.  You say that you have a dream that your four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.  I want to thank you Dr. King for speaking up and making a difference.   Thank you for what you've done. I am a woman who is not of color so there is much that I do not understand.

It is hard for me to imagine what you and others had to experience. I want to thank you for allowing me the chance to go to school with some of my African-American friends.  Thank you that we now share the same bathrooms and can eat in the same restaurants as well as even work together. It is hard to believe that there was a moment when you were dreaming of a time that would be like this. Your dream is still needed because just a couple years ago for the first time in our history we elected a gentleman named Barack Obama, who is African American, as President of the United States. I guess you could say that progress is slow, but I know that you are grateful that you have paved the way.

I love that you have said that, "Life’s most persistent and urgent question is, ‘What are you doing for others?"  I was listening to some of one of your speeches on the radio today and you said some really incredible things. I tried to write them down but I didn't have time.  So, I'll have to paraphrase. You mentioned that when you die you would like to not be remembered  for all your honors and for being the youngest recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize. You said that when you die you want to be remembered for how you fed the hungry, clothed the naked, and visited those in prison.

I can see how you have said, "Life's most persistent and urgent question is, ’What are you doing for others?"   You are a man who not only speaks these words but you also are a man who lives them out in principle and action. I can tell that you understand the heart of God and want to treat others in a way that is pleasing to Him.  I have really enjoyed getting to know some things about you today. You are such an intelligent man who is willing to speak out so that injustice is challenged and that your dream is realized. Thank you for the way that you have been a man of great conviction and character.   You have made this world a better place.

Sincerely yours,
Vicki O'Neal :)





No comments:

Post a Comment