Thursday, January 6, 2011

Making Cold Calls Builds Character

Recently,  I noticed a blog from a fellow blogger about making cold calls. I remember the blog saying something like "I hate making cold calls." When I saw this I began to chuckle inside because it reminded me of the many hours I spent making those delightful cold calls. I also understood how this fellow blogger was feeling.
I did not like talking to people on the telephone nor did I want to. So you can imagine that the thoughts of calling complete strangers consecutively for a couple of hours was not something that I was really excited about.  Now you may be wondering, why did I do something that I did not want to do. Well, this is a good question. I guess you could say that I was being stretched.

I needed finances to help pay for excellent nutritional products that I was using. So it was recommended that I just tell a couple of people. I remember wanting to write each person a personal handwritten note with a brochure just so I wouldn't have to speak with them on the telephone. I'm grateful that I figured out that this was not the most efficient way to tell others about my awesome nutritional products. So I began buying leads and making those delightful cold calls.

I was not the best communicator starting out. I was hung up on and heard profanity on the telephone and I am sure I probably cried afterwards. Actually, I cried several times during my year of cold calling. As the hours went by of making those calls something pretty cool began to happen and guess what that was... I became comfortable on the phone and became a better communicator.

I am grateful for being stretched.  It is through stretching that I am challenged and this is when I grow the most.  I would love to speak with you on the telephone. :)

2 comments:

  1. Ugg - hate cold calls too, and won't do them. I feel I'm forcing myself on someone who doesn't know me. Would you buy from someone you didn't know? Not me!

    So, only warm calls from leads given to me directly from someone who actually knows the person AND has permission from that warm call to give me their contact information.

    Just my opinion,

    Eydie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eydie
    Thanks for your comment. You mentioned not liking cold calls. How successful have you been with calling your warm market? Are you involved in network marketing?

    Vicki :)

    ReplyDelete